Dorfgastein is the first village in the Gastein Valley and with just over 1600 inhabitants, the smallest in the valley - in the district of St. Johann im Pongau, Austria. The districts are Dorfgastein, Luggau, Maierhofen and Unterberg. Until the end of 2002 Dorgastein belonged to the district of Gastein, however, since 2003 it is part of the Sankt Johann im Pongau district.

The region comprises of the following six villages: Bergl, Dorfgastein, Klammstein, Luggau, Maierhofen and Unterberg. The municipality comprises the cadastral Dorfgastein and Klammstein. History: As early as 1212 there was a documented reference, namely, the use of the Gastein gorge was documented as for riding horses and a mule track. As a result, 1342 was the first mention in the oldest Gastein Mining Regulations. Another historic milestone was 1350, with the founding of the Rupertuskirche zu Dorff.

Up to 1520 Klammstein Castle was the administrative centre, which was the seat of the archbishop's steward of Gastein, with tolls and backup space at the entrance. 1735 the school system arrived - the first school was in the village of Gastein. 1921, there were electric lights in the classes. 1893 The Telegraph Office was set up in the village of Gastein. In 1927, the school building was opened, and in 1959 the opening of the first Dorfgastein ski lift took place. And this began the tradition as a ski resort area! The Großarltal-Dorfgastein resort is part of the Ski Amadé region with over 900 km of slopes and extends over the Kreuzkogel, of 885 m at Großarl to 2,027 m altitude, where the connection is situated between Großarltal and Großarl. About 80 kilometers of piste alone are available in the Gastein valley for skiing holidays - these are serviced by five cable cars, eight chairlifts and five T-bar lifts. The transport capacity is almost 30,000 people per hour. Shuttle buses connect the village with the Gastein resorts Schloßalm-Angertal-Stubnerkogel (Bad Gastein, Bad Hofgastein).